Lake Bob Sandlin Information
Lake Bob Sandlin, located on Big Cypress Creek is roughly six miles southwest of Mount Pleasant and six miles northwest of Pittsburg, Texas. On February 19, 1966, local businessman and civic leader Bob Sandlin was named president of the Titus County Fresh Water Supply District No. 1. Property acquisition began in 1973 and construction of Fort Sherman Dam began in 1974. The earthfill dam was built to a maximum height of 69 feet, a top width of 25 feet, and consisted of a total length of 10,800 feet. In addition to its function of water storage and industrial use, the 9,460-acre reservoir has become known as a top bass-fishing lake for anglers.
Lake Bob Sandlin State Park is a 639.8-acre park located on the heavily-wooded shoreline on the north side of the 9400-acre Lake Bob Sandlin, located southeast of Mount Pleasant in Titus County. It was acquired in 1979 and was opened 1987.
Evidence of prehistoric Caddoan people which occupied East Texas from 200 B.C. to 1700 exists in the area. The French and Spanish periodically occupied the area; establishing relations with the Caddo. Choctaw, Cherokee, and Kickapoo moved into East Texas in the late 18th to early 19th century. By 1841, Fort Sherman, a wooden stockade whose site is believed to be in or near the park, was established. The Fort Sherman cemetery is located in the park. Since 1860, the land has been used for farming and ranching.